This satisfying rice dish is great served alongside roast pork or pasteles. This recipe first appeared in our December 2011 issue along with Kathleen Squires's story Island Holiday.
- 3 tbsp. canola oil
- 2 oz. bacon, cut into 1/4″ cubes
- 1⁄2 cup sofrito
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1⁄2 (7-oz.) jar mixed olives, capers, and pimientos
- 1 (15-oz.) can pigeon peas, drained
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat oil in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon; cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add sofrito and onion; cook until soft, about 8 minutes. Add rice and tomato paste; cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add stock, oregano, and olive mix; boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until rice is tender, about 30 minutes; stir in peas. Cook for 10 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper before serving.