This multipurpose seasoning base forms the foundation of numerous dishes in Puerto Rico. This recipe first appeared in our December 2011 issue along with Kathleen Squires’s story Island Holiday.
- 8 oz. ham, chopped
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh oregano
- 15 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 cubanelle or banana peppers, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 4 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- Finely chop all ingredients in a food processor. Heat in a 12″ skillet over medium-low heat; cook until very soft, about 20 minutes. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.