Puerto Rican Sofrito
This multipurpose seasoning base forms the foundation of numerous dishes in Puerto Rico. This recipe first appeared in our December 2011 issue along with Kathleen Squires’s story Island Holiday.
- 8 oz. ham, chopped
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh oregano
- 15 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 cubanelle or banana peppers, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 4 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- Finely chop all ingredients in a food processor. Heat in a 12″ skillet over medium-low heat; cook until very soft, about 20 minutes. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.