Artichoke and Fava Stew with Lemon Sauce
A tangy lemon sauce livens up the favas' slightly musky flavor.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 2⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 scallions, white and pale green parts only, trimmed and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 3⁄4 lb. shelled fresh young favas (about 2 cups), from about 2 lbs. unshelled favas
- 6-8 large artichokes
- 1 tbsp. flour
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Stir in scallions and garlic, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in favas, then add enough water to cover beans by 1". Cover pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Trim and peel artichokes down to heart, keeping a 1" stem on each, then scrape out chokes. Put artichokes, stem side up, into pot with favas. Season to taste with salt. Cover pot and simmer until artichokes are very soft, 30–60 minutes.
- Whisk flour and lemon juice together in a medium bowl, gradually whisk in 1⁄2 cup hot pot juices, then pour into pot, tilting pot to spread mixture evenly. Simmer stew over medium-low heat, without stirring, until sauce thickens, 15–20 minutes. Serve stew garnished with lemon halves and sprigs of parsley, if you like.