Autumn Vegetable Patties
A satisfying vegetarian main course, these sweet potato, white bean, and spinach patties are terrific served with cranberry-ginger chutney.
Yield: serves 8
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh sage
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 tsp. cayenne
- 12 oz. fresh spinach, boiled until tender, squeezed dry, and chopped
- 1 (15-oz.) can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed, and mashed
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat 6 tbsp. butter in a 10″ skillet over medium heat; add sweet potato, and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add 1⁄2 cup bread crumbs, sage, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in spinach, mashed beans, and egg white; season with salt and pepper.
- Using your hands, shape vegetable mixture into eight 4″-long oblong patties, about 1⁄2″ thick; coat patties in remaining bread crumbs. Heat 2 tbsp. oil and 1 tbsp. butter in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat; add 4 patties, and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, and repeat with remaining oil, butter, and vegetable patties.
- To serve, season sour cream with salt and pepper, and top each patty with a dollop of sour cream.