The classic Middle Eastern eggplant spread, redolent with garlic and smoky charred eggplant, is made even creamier with the addition of mayonnaise. This recipe first appeared in our October 2011 issue along with Katie Robbins’s story Season of Rejoicing.
- 8 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tbsp. tahini
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place garlic and eggplants on a foillined baking sheet, and broil until tender and charred all over, about 10 minutes for garlic, and about 40 minutes for eggplant. Peel and seed eggplants, and mash flesh with peeled garlic, juice, tahini, mayonnaise, 2 tsp. parsley, the cumin, paprika, and salt and pepper in a bowl; sprinkle with remaining parsley.