Stone crabs are sold with small “arms” attached to the claws; this salad recipe, which came from The Colony Beach & Tennis Resort in Longboat Key, Florida, uses both arm and claw meat.
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1⁄2 cups shelled raw cashew pieces
- 1″ pieces ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1⁄2 cups fresh carrot juice
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE SALAD:
- 3 ears corn, tough outer husks removed
- 10 medium stone crab claws, chilled and cracked
- 1⁄2 lb. baby spinach, washed and dried
- 1⁄2 lb. fresh hearts of palm, cut into thirds crosswise and julienned
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- For the dressing: Put cashews, ginger, garlic, and carrot and lemon juices into a blender and purée until smooth, about 1 minute. With motor still running, gradually add oil in a slow, steady stream through hole in blender lid, blending until all oil has been absorbed and mixture is emulsified, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a small bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the salad: Soak corn in a large bowl of cold water for 1 hour. Preheat grill. Meanwhile, separate crab arms from claws. Remove meat from the arms and 4 of the claws, discarding shells, and set aside. Remove and discard shells from the 6 remaining claws, leaving top third of claw shells intact, and set aside. Drain corn and grill over medium-hot heat until husks are charred all over, 5–10 minutes. Remove corn from grill and set aside until cool, then shuck corn, discarding husks and silk. Cut corn kernels off cobs, discarding cobs, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add spinach, hearts of palm, oil, and lemon juice to bowl with corn and toss until evenly coated. Divide salad among six chilled plates and scatter each with some of the reserved crab meat. Garnish each plate with a reserved claw, then drizzle dressing over plates.