Baked Chicken With Peppers
Slow-braised chicken with peppers and onions is a soul food staple. This version, from Bertha's Kitchen, is seasoned with plenty of paprika.
Yield: serves 8
- 8 whole chicken legs
- Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and paprika, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/2″-thick strips
- 2 large yellow onions, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2″-thick slices
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Heat oven to 400°. Season chicken liberally with salt, pepper, and paprika. Heat oil in an 8-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add chicken, skin side down, and cook until skin is golden brown, about 6 minutes. Transfer chicken to a large roasting pan, skin side up, and set aside. Return pan to heat and add garlic, peppers, and onions; cook, stirring, until vegetables begin to soften, about 8 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, cook for 1 minute, and then add chicken stock; scrape browned bits off bottom of pan and mix. Pour vegetables and stock around chicken, and bake until chicken is browned and cooked through, about 1 hour.