Hickory House used Cain’s barbecue spice blend, no longer made, as its dry rub. This recipe is author Bayless’s interpretation of that now unobtainable product.
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup ground chile, such as ancho, New Mexico, or guajillo, or paprika
- 4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- Put garlic, ground chile, salt, pepper, sugar, oregano, and thyme into a small bowl. Stir well, making sure garlic is thoroughly combined. If not using spice mix right away, store in a small clean jar, tightly sealed, in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.