Specialties of Basel, in northern Switzerland, these chocolatey confections are often described as Swiss brownies. Almonds, sugar, and chocolate are ground fine and bound together with egg whites to create a satisfyingly chewy texture, while cinnamon and cloves impart an unmistakable flavor of old-fashioned Christmas cheer.
- 8 oz. whole blanched almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, plus more for rolling
- 6 oz. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten