Top-quality olive oil from Kalamata flavors this thick soup, a version of which has nourished Greeks since antiquity. It is still extremely popular during the winter months.
- 1 lb. medium dried white beans, such as cannellini or great northern, soaked for 8 hours or overnight
- 2⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, preferably from Kalamata
- 5 inner ribs celery with leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2-3 large red onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, trimmed, and sliced crosswise
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper