This vibrant dish combines the best vegetables of spring.
- 9 raw artichoke hearts, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 lb. fresh fava beans, shelled
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh shelled or frozen peas
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
Place artichokes, carrots, garlic, oil, lemon juice, sugar, and 1 cup water in a large skillet. Season to taste with salt, then bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until artichokes are tender, about 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add favas and blanch until skins can be easily removed, about 2 minutes. Drain, refresh in cold water, then slip off and discard skins.
Add favas and peas to artichokes, increase heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until most of cooking liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add parsley, season with salt, and serve.