Braised Artichokes with Carrots, Peas, and Fava Beans
This vibrant dish combines the best vegetables of spring.
Yield: serves 4
- 9 raw artichoke hearts, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> cup extra-virgin olive oil
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 lb. fresh fava beans, shelled
- 1 <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> cups fresh shelled or frozen peas
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- Place artichokes, carrots, garlic, oil, lemon juice, sugar, and 1 cup water in a large skillet. Season to taste with salt, then bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until artichokes are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add favas and blanch until skins can be easily removed, about 2 minutes. Drain, refresh in cold water, then slip off and discard skins.
- Add favas and peas to artichokes, increase heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until most of cooking liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add parsley, season with salt, and serve.
MORE TO READ
Don’t Fear the Dinner Party: Toasting Romy Gill’s Cookbook from Home
Recipes, tricks, and tips for hosting a Himalayan-inspired vegetarian feast.
Watermelon Gin Punch with Himalayan Salt
Elegant black tea and botanical flavors round out this pretty party punch.