This vibrant dish combines the best vegetables of spring.
- 9 raw artichoke hearts, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 lb. fresh fava beans, shelled
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh shelled or frozen peas
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- Place artichokes, carrots, garlic, oil, lemon juice, sugar, and 1 cup water in a large skillet. Season to taste with salt, then bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until artichokes are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add favas and blanch until skins can be easily removed, about 2 minutes. Drain, refresh in cold water, then slip off and discard skins.
- Add favas and peas to artichokes, increase heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until most of cooking liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add parsley, season with salt, and serve.