This classic brunch item tastes the best when prepared with sweet red grapefruit, preferably ruby red.
This classic brunch item tastes best when prepared with sweet red grapefruit, preferably ruby red.
Yield: serves 4
- 2 maraschino cherries, stemmed, and pitted
- 2 red grapefruits, halved
- 4-8 Tbsp. light muscavado sugar
- Set an oven rack 4″ from broiler; preheat. Halve cherries, set aside. Trim the ends of grapefruits so that they sit flat when upright; transfer to a baking sheet, cut side up.
- Run a knife around edges and between sections of grapefruit to loosen. Sprinkle each half with 1–2 tbsp. sugar; place 1 cherry half, rounded side up, in the middle of each grapefruit. Broil until bubbling with caramelized sugar, 5–6 minutes.