All this light and flavorful soup needs is bubbles! Flat-leaf, or Italian, parsley has a strong, fresh “green” flavor that’s generally preferred in cooking. It’s the perfect choice for this soup.
- 1 3 lb. chicken
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- ½ heads garlic, unpeeled
- 2 ½ packed cups parsley leaves, washed
- 5 black peppercorns
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ lb. of your favorite shape of pasta (such as rotelle)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Place chicken in a large stockpot with water to cover. Add carrots, onions, and celery, along with garlic, 1⁄2 cup of the parsley leaves, peppercorns, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Skim off any foam, then reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours, skimming occasionally. (After 1 hour of cooking, you may wish to remove the chicken, pick the meat from the bones, and return the carcass to the pot. Reserve the meat for another use.) Remove from heat, skim fat, and strain.
- Return the broth to the same pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add pasta and cook until pasta is tender, according to package directions. Stir in remaining 2 cups parsley leaves and simmer for 1 minute more. Season to taste with salt and pepper.