This chicken dish, braised in a sauce rich with earthy paprika, is based on a recipe from Hungarian home cook Olga Kolozy.
Yield: serves 4
Time: 50 minutes
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2½ cups plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 whole chicken (3-4 lb.), cut into 6–8 pieces, skin removed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cups canola oil
- 2 tbsp. sweet paprika
- 1 Italian frying pepper, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 cup large yellow onion, minced
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- ¾ cups sour cream
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Bring an 8-quart pot of salted water to a boil. In a bowl, whisk together 2 cups flour and 1 teaspoon salt; form a well in the center. Add the egg and ½ cup water to well; stir to form a dough. Knead in bowl until smooth, about 1 minute. Using a teaspoon, scoop walnut-size portions of dough into the pot. Boil the dumplings until tender, 6–8 minutes. Drain dumplings and rinse in cold water; cover with a tea towel and set aside.
- Meanwhile, season the chicken with salt and black pepper. Place 1⁄2 cup flour on a plate; dredge the chicken, shaking off excess. In a 6-quart Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high. Cook the chicken, turning once, until brown, 8–10 minutes; set aside. Add the paprika and half the Italian pepper, along with the tomatoes and onion, to the pot; cook, stirring, until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, turning the chicken once, until fully cooked, 12–15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and 2 tablespoons flour; whisk in ¾ cup sauce from the pot. Stir sour cream mixture into the sauce in the pot. Remove from heat.
- In a 12-inch skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the dumplings and parsley; cook, tossing occasionally, until hot, about 2 minutes. Garnish the chicken with the remaining Italian pepper; serve with dumplings on the side.