The recipe for this zesty Iraqi salad, which uses pickled mango, or amba, comes from the food cart Aladdin's Castle Cafe in Portland, Oregon. This recipe first appeared in our June/July 2012 issue along with Dana Bowen's story Food of the People.
- 1 lb. dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 1⁄2 cup roughly chopped pickled mango (Iraqi or Israeli amba; available from Online Food Grocery.com)
- 1 tbsp. sumac (available from Mama's Lebanese Kitchen)
- 1 medium tomato, cored and roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste