This recipe is based on one given to us by SAVEUR contributing editor Rick Bayless.
Yield: makes 1 1/4 Cups
- 12 dried guajillo chiles (or substitute 8 ancho chiles)
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 3⁄4 tsp. black pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 (3-lb.) piece of lamb shoulder or leg
- Stem and seed dried chiles (or substitute 8 ancho chiles) and put them into a bowl; cover with boiling water to let soften for 30 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to blender along with garlic, 3 tbsp. water, cider vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, cumin, and 1 cinnamon. Purée until smooth.
- Rub mixture over shoulder or leg. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.