A North Fork Valley favorite in zucchini season, this moist chocolate cake gets its moistness from buttermilk.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
This cake is a North Fork Valley favorite in zucchini season.
Yield: serves 8
- 2 medium zucchini, trimmed and grated on large holes of box grater
- 9 tbsp. butter, at room temperature
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup corn oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Working in batches, put a small mound of zucchini in center of large square of double-layer cheesecloth. Gather corners together and squeeze out as much water as possible. Transfer zucchini to a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325º. Butter a deep 9″ cake pan with 1 tbsp. of the butter. Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt together into a mixing bowl and set aside. Beat together remaining 8 tbsp. butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy, 3-4 minutes.
- Add oil, beating well. Beat in one egg at a time, add vanilla, reduce speed to low, and beat in flour mixture and buttermilk in 3 alternate batches. Stir in reserved zucchini.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to let cool. Invert onto a plate and dust with sugar.