These fritters are the perfect side dish for chowder.
Yield: makes 1 Dozen
- Canola oil
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups (about 3⁄4 lb.) chopped clams (preferably quahogs)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Pour oil into a large pot to a depth of 2". Heat over medium-high heat until oil registers 350° on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Meanwhile, sift flour, baking powder, salt, and black pepper into a bowl.
- Stir together clams, milk, butter, and egg in a bowl. Add flour mixture to clam mixture and stir. Working in batches, carefully drop spoonfuls of batter (about 3 tbsp. each) into oil. Fry, turning once, until golden brown and just cooked through, 3–4 minutes. Transfer fritters to a paper towel–lined plate and sprinkle with salt.