Commander's Palace Shrimp & Tasso Henican
Red pepper jelly and pickled okra and onions add piquancy to this shrimp recipe.
Yield: serves 6
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more
- 1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 7 cloves garlic (3 crushed, 4 finely chopped)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 jalapeños, minced
- 1 each green, red, and yellow bell pepper, minced
- 1⁄2 tbsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 tsp. finely chopped parsley
- 2 lb. jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 2 oz. spicy tasso, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tbsp. Creole seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 9 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup Crystal hot sauce
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 12 pickled okra
- Place sliced onions in a bowl. Bring vinegar, 2 tsp. salt, peppercorns, cumin, crushed garlic, and bay to a boil in a 1-qt. saucepan. Pour over onions; cool pickled onions; chill.
- Heat a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and cook until slightly caramelized, 10-12 minutes; transfer to a bowl. Add chile flakes, syrup, and vinegar to the pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until reduced by two-thirds, 10-12 minutes. Stir in peppers and parsley; season with salt. Set pepper jelly aside.
- Make a 1⁄4" cut down the back of each shrimp; stuff each shrimp with one strip of tasso and secure with a toothpick. Mix flour and Creole seasoning in a bowl. Heat oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, toss shrimp in flour, shaking off excess; fry until just cooked, 3-5 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a bowl; keep warm. Wipe out pan and add 4 tbsp. butter; return to medium-high heat. Add chopped garlic and shallots; cook until soft, 2 minutes. Add hot sauce and cream; cook until reduced by half. Remove from heat and whisk in remaining butter to make a smooth sauce. Return shrimp to pan; toss with sauce and remove toothpicks.
- To serve: Divide jelly among 6 plates and arrange shrimp on the plate alternating with pickled okra; garnish with pickled onions.