This cool and crunchy summer condiment is a great way to use corn at its peak.
Yield: makes About 8 Cups
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 small white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. celery seeds
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 tbsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 8 cups fresh corn kernels (about 16 ears)
- Put celery, bell peppers, onions, sugar, vinegar, salt, celery seeds, and 1 cup water in a large heavy pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together flour, mustard, turmeric, and 1⁄4 cup cold water in a small bowl, then add to vegetables, along with corn. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring often. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use. Or pour into sterilized jars, seal, and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.