Fasgioli Incu Funghi (White Beans with Dried Mushrooms)
This simple bean stew is typical of Corsica’s flavorful, unpretentious fare. This recipe first appeared in our May 2012 issue along with David McAninch’s story Pleasure Island.
Find this recipe in our cookbook, SAVEUR: Soups and Stews
- 1⁄2 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 8 oz. dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (15-oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes in juice, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Soak mushrooms in 4 cups boiling water in a bowl until soft, about 20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to a cutting board; finely chop. Slowly pour soaking liquid into a large measuring cup until you have 3 cups, making sure to leave any sediment in bottom of bowl; discard sediment. Set soaking liquid and mushrooms aside.
- Heat oil in a 4–qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion; cook until soft, about 6 minutes. Add tomato paste; cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add reserved soaking liquid and mushrooms, beans, stock, tomatoes, and bay leaves; boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, partially covered and stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, 2 ½–3 hours. Season with salt and pepper before serving.