Fasgioli Incu Funghi (White Beans with Dried Mushrooms)
This simple bean stew is typical of Corsica's flavorful, unpretentious fare.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 1⁄2 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 8 oz. dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (15-oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes in juice, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Soak mushrooms in 4 cups boiling water in a bowl until soft, about 20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to a cutting board; finely chop. Slowly pour soaking liquid into a large measuring cup until you have 3 cups, making sure to leave any sediment in bottom of bowl; discard sediment. Set soaking liquid and mushrooms aside.
- Heat oil in a 4–qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion; cook until soft, about 6 minutes. Add tomato paste; cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add reserved soaking liquid and mushrooms, beans, stock, tomatoes, and bay leaves; boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, partially covered and stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, 2 ½–3 hours. Season with salt and pepper before serving.