It takes 50-100 blue crabs to yield a 1-lb. tub of picked over jumbo lump crabmeat—no wonder it's so expensive! However, we still advise picking through it again, just to be sure you get any bits of cartilage or shell the professional crab-pickers might have missed.
- 1 lb. jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 small red onion, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup boiled fresh or frozen white corn kernels
- 1 medium scallion, trimmed and chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, trimmed and chopped
- Juice of 2-3 limes
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Put crabmeat, tomatoes, onions, corn, scallions, and cilantro into a medium bowl. Drizzle lime juice and vinegar over crab mixture. Add cumin and season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss gently, being careful not to break up lumps of crabmeat. Adjust seasonings. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve with Crab Cakes—or simply with homemade tortilla chips, if you like.