Regulars at the 118-year-old Duarte’s Tavern dip hunks of sourdough bread into this soup, making it a meal in itself. This recipe first appeared in our Jan/Feb 2013 issue along with James Oseland’s article Duarte’s Tavern.
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 lb. frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and roughly chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Heat butter in 4-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes. Add artichokes; cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until artichokes are very tender, about 20 minutes. Transfer stock and vegetables to a blender; puree until smooth. Return to saucepan, add cream, and bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by a third, about 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and serve with lemon wedges on the side.