This luscious sauce adds complex flavor to fillet mignon, a mild-tasting cut.
Fillets Mignons with Mushroom Sauce
This luscious sauce adds complex flavor to filet mignon, a mild-tasting cut.
Yield: serves 4
- 6 tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 (8-oz.) fillets mignons
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 lb. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tsp. cornstarch, mixed with 1 tbsp. water
- 2 tbsp. mixed chopped chives and parsley
- 2 tbsp. sherry
- Heat oven to 500°. Heat 1 tbsp. butter and 1 tbsp. oil in a large skillet over high heat. Season fillets with salt and pepper; sear, flipping once, until browned, 4–5 minutes. Transfer fillets to a baking sheet; roast in oven until medium rare, 4–5 minutes. Transfer fillets to a plate. Return skillet to medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp. butter, remaining oil, and shallots; cook for 1 minute. Add mushrooms; cook for 5 minutes. Add red wine; bring to a boil. Reduce to medium; cook until syrupy, 8–10 minutes. Add stock; reduce slightly, 4–5 minutes. Whisk in cornstarch mixture; bring to a boil. Add sherry; cook until thickened, 2–3 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in remaining butter, herbs, and salt and pepper. Serve fillets with mushroom sauce.