Always elegant, savory foie gras lends itself to a number of preparations, including this inventive one from the Four Seasons in New York City.
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 ripe pineapple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp. roasted pistachios, shelled, chopped, and toasted
- 1 1⁄2 lb. fresh whole foie gras, sliced into 16 ½"-thick pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 8 sprigs chervil
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, then add diced pineapple, sugar, rice wine vinegar, and pineapple juice. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until juices have evaporated and the pineapple is soft, about 1 hour. Remove from heat, stir in chopped pistachios, and set aside.
- Season foie gras slices to taste with salt and pepper. Sear foie gras in a large nonstick skillet over high heat until nicely browned on both sides and medium-rare in the middle, about 1 minute each side.
- Divide pineapple mixture among eight plates. Arrange 2 slices of seared foie gras on top of each mound of pineapple, then drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Garnish each serving with a chervil sprig.