Brussels Sprout Chips with Sweet Chile Sauce
Tossing crisp-fried Brussels sprout leaves in a spicy Thai-flavored dressing spiked with yuzu juice, sesame oil, and sriracha enlivens the old standby.
Yield: serves 2
- 1⁄2 lb. brussels sprouts
- 3 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. sriracha sauce
- 1⁄2 tsp. sweet chile paste
- 2 tsp. yuzu juice
- 1⁄4 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- Canola oil for frying
- Trim off the bottoms of the sprouts and discard the outermost leaves. Pull off and set aside the rest of the leaves, reserving the hearts for another use.
- Make the sauce: whisk together honey, sriracha, chile paste, yuzu, sesame oil, and sesame seeds in a small bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, pour about 2 inches of oil into a 4-qt. pot and heat to 350°. Fry the sprouts in three batches, using the lid of the pot to protect your hands from popping oil. Cook for about 30 seconds or until the leaves are brown and crisp. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Once all batches are fried, transfer the chips to a bowl and drizzle some of the sauce over them. Toss lightly to coat and add more sauce if needed. Serve immediately.