Fried Pork Chops
These pork chops can be fried in vegetable oil, but for a richer, more decadant and more authentic dish, they should be fried in lard.
Yield: serves 4-8
- 8 (5-7 oz.) pork chops
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. lard or vegetable oil
- Generously season eight 5-7 oz. pork chops with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat 2 tbsp. lard or vegetable oil in a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Working in 3 batches, fry pork chops until golden brown on on side, about 5 minutes, then turn chops and fry for 2-3 minutes more. Add 1 more tbsp. lard or vegetable oil to skillet between batches.
- Transfer chops to a warm platter as finished cooking. Serve with yellow hot relish, if you like.