(Keripik Kentang Balado)
This recipe uses a simple chile paste that’s also delicious tossed with hard-boiled eggs and small pieces of fried fish.
Yield: serves 4-6
- Peanut oil
- 2 medium waxy potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 10 holland chiles, stemmed and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup roasted salted shelled red-skinned peanuts
- Pour oil into a deep skillet to a depth of 1″ and heat over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in 2 batches, fry potatoes, stirring often, until golden and crisp, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Season to taste with salt.
- Crush chiles with a mortar and pestle to a smooth paste. Heat 3 tbsp. peanut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chiles and cook, stirring constantly, until soft, about 1 minute. Add peanuts and cook until they begin to fry, about 30 seconds. Remove skillet from heat and add potato chips. Using two large kitchen spoons, gently toss chips in chile–peanut mixture until well coated. Season to taste with salt. Chips will soften slightly as they sit. Serve at room temperature, with Steamed White Rice, if you like.