Stir-Fried Bean Sprouts (Taugeh Goreng)
This dish is sometimes made more elaborate with the addition of salted fish, sliced shallots, shredded carrot, and deep-fried bean curd.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 2 tbsp. peanut oil
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 red holland or Fresno chile, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 lb. fresh mung bean sprouts (about 8 cups)
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 3 scallions, cut lengthwise into 2" pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a wok over medium heat. Add garlic and chile; stir-fry until chile is wilted, about 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high, add bean sprouts and soy sauce. Gently stir-fry for 1 minute. Add scallions and continue stir-frying until scallions are wilted and sprouts are crisp-tender, about 30 seconds more. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Divide sprouts between bowls and serve immediately.