This is one of many flavorful mezedes (Greek appetizers) in Susanna Hoffman’s The Olive and the Caper (Workman, 2004).
Greek Fried Cheese
This is one of many flavorful mezedes (Greek appetizers) in Susanna Hoffman's The Olive and the Caper (Workman, 2004).
Yield: serves 4-6
- Olive oil, for frying
- 10 oz. halloúmi, kefalotyri, or Pecorino Romano cheese, cut into 3⁄4″ cubes
- 2 tbsp. brine-packed capers, soaked for 5 minutes and drained
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. roughly chopped fresh oregano
- Pour oil into a 12″ cast-iron skillet to a depth of 1⁄8″; heat over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking. Add cheese and cook, turning, until all sides are golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer cheese to paper towels.
- Put cheese into a bowl and toss with capers, lemon juice, and oregano. Serve in small bowls.