Greek Fried Cheese
This is one of many flavorful mezedes (Greek appetizers) in Susanna Hoffman's The Olive and the Caper (Workman, 2004).
Yield: serves 4-6
- Olive oil, for frying
- 10 oz. halloúmi, kefalotyri, or Pecorino Romano cheese, cut into 3⁄4" cubes
- 2 tbsp. brine-packed capers, soaked for 5 minutes and drained
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. roughly chopped fresh oregano
- Pour oil into a 12" cast-iron skillet to a depth of 1⁄8"; heat over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking. Add cheese and cook, turning, until all sides are golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer cheese to paper towels.
- Put cheese into a bowl and toss with capers, lemon juice, and oregano. Serve in small bowls.