Greg Massa's Brown Rice Pilaf
In this dish chopped pecans add a pleasant crunchiness and heighten the inherent nuttiness of brown rice.
Yield: serves 2
- 3 slices bacon, cut into 1/4" strips
- 2 ribs celery, sliced into 1/4" diagonals
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrots, julienned
- 1 1⁄2 cooked Massa Organics brown rice
- 2⁄3 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- Juice of half a lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon slices, rendering them until they are browned and almost crisp, about 12 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel–lined plate with a slotted spoon; leave the remaining fat in the skillet.
- Add the celery, garlic, and carrots to the pan and cook until soft but not brown, about 8 minutes. Stir cooked rice into the vegetable mixture, stirring occasionally to allow it to heat through.
- Add the chopped nuts, scallion, bacon pieces, and lemon juice; stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.