Lazy Goat’s Grilled Calamari with Ahi Dolce Romesco
“I am very fortunate to have a local farmer who grows all of my microgreens, braising greens and what I like to think of as God’s personal gift to me, the aji dulce pepper. It looks and tastes just like a habanero, however it has none of the heat – seriously!” —Victoria Ann Moore, chef de cuisine, the Lazy Goat
- 10 Ahi Dolce Peppers, grilled, seeded
- 5 Piquillo peppers (any roasted canned red pepper will work)
- 1 cup blanched peeled almonds, toasted (I use Marcona Almonds)
- 2 tbsp. fresh mint leaves
- Splash of sherry vinegar
- 1⁄2–3⁄4 cups olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 lb. calamari
- Olive oil
- Combine peppers, almonds, and mint in a food processor on high.
- Add the sherry vinegar, followed by olive oil while the processor is still on.When emulsified, remove from processor, taste, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Set sauce aside.
- Preheat grill.
- Cut the calamari tubes into strips lengthwise.
- Season with salt and pepper, and coat with olive oil.
- Put calamari on the grill in a medium hot area. Try and prevent the grill from flaming up directly on the calamari. It will be ready in 2 – 3 minutes.
- Serve hot, topped with the prepared sauce.