We based this recipe for garam masala-spiced greens on one in Kashmiri Cooking by Krishna Prasad Dar (Penguin, 1995).
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground fennel seed
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground fenugreek
- 1⁄8 tsp. Kashmiri chile powder
- 1⁄8 tsp. asafetida (optional)
- 1 lb. collard greens, 1/2" of stems trimmed, stems and leaves cut crosswise into 3" pieces
- 1 (1 1/2") piece ginger, peeled and julienned
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 (1 1/2") piece jaggery or 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 4 cups cooked basmati rice
Heat oil in a 6-qt. pot over medium heat. Add turmeric, coriander, fennel, cumin, fenugreek, chile powder, and asafetida; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add collard greens and ginger, season with salt, and stir to coat greens in spices. Add 3 cups water, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until collard greens are tender, about 40 minutes. Stir in jaggery until dissolved and divide collards between serving bowls; serve with rice and some of the cooking liquid.