Maria Sinskey uses fresh halibut cheeks, difficult to find in some parts of the United States, for this delicate spring dish. Since frozen cheeks can be tough when cooked, Sinskey advises using halibut filets as an alternative.
- 6 (4–6-oz.) halibut cheeks or 1/2"-thick skinless halibut filets
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 butter
- 18 baby leeks (or 3 medium leeks halved lengthwise), white and pale green parts only, trimmed, sliced on the bias into 1/2"-thick pieces, washed, and drained
- 1 lb. fresh peas, shelled, or 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 1⁄2 cups Chicken Stock or Fish Stock
- 1 recipe Fines-Herbes Gnocchi, cooked