Hickory House Deviled Eggs
We add mashed potato to the filling of this traditional hors d'oeuvre.
Yield: makes 12
- 6 eggs
- 1 medium red-skin boiling potato, peeled and cut into 8 pieces
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. sweet pickle relish
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. prepared yellow mustard
- Put eggs and potatoes into a medium pot and add enough cold water to cover them by 1". Add salt and simmer over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium to medium-low and gently simmer for 9 minutes more.
- Pour off water from pot. Transfer potatoes with a slotted spoon to a medium bowl, then put pot of eggs under cold running water to let cool for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, add relish, mayonnaise, and mustard to potatoes, thoroughly mash together with a fork, and set aside.
- Peel and cut eggs in half lengthwise. Using a fork or spoon, carefully scoop out yolks, add them to the potato mixture, and mash together with a fork. Spoon filling onto hard-cooked whites, mounding filling slightly and covering whole cut side of egg. Garnish with chopped chives and/or bachelor's button (which are edible), if you like.