Adding mashed potato to the filling of this traditional hors d’oeuvre helps bind it.
Hickory House Deviled Eggs
We add mashed potato to the filling of this traditional hors d'oeuvre.
Yield: makes 12
- 6 eggs
- 1 medium red-skin boiling potato, peeled and cut into 8 pieces
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. sweet pickle relish
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. prepared yellow mustard
- Put eggs and potatoes into a medium pot and add enough cold water to cover them by 1″. Add salt and simmer over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium to medium-low and gently simmer for 9 minutes more.
- Pour off water from pot. Transfer potatoes with a slotted spoon to a medium bowl, then put pot of eggs under cold running water to let cool for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, add relish, mayonnaise, and mustard to potatoes, thoroughly mash together with a fork, and set aside.
- Peel and cut eggs in half lengthwise. Using a fork or spoon, carefully scoop out yolks, add them to the potato mixture, and mash together with a fork. Spoon filling onto hard-cooked whites, mounding filling slightly and covering whole cut side of egg. Garnish with chopped chives and/or bachelor’s button (which are edible), if you like.