Boiling the potatoes for this dish ahead of time and letting them cool completely, preferably in the refrigerator overnight, allows them to cook faster and brown better than raw potatoes.
- 1 lb. boiled potatoes, cold and peeled
- 4 tbsp. rendered bacon fat or canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. paprika
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cut potatoes into 1 1⁄2″ cubes. Heat 2 tbsp. of the bacon fat or oil in a heavy-bottomed 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining bacon fat or oil, onions, paprika, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring and scraping the bottom of the skillet with a metal spatula, until the potatoes form a golden brown crust and the onions soften and brown, 15–20 minutes.