This honey-lemon syrup restores the fresh apricot’s essence hidden within, even spongy supermarket apricots.
- 2 cups honey
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 24 apricots, (whole or halved and pitted)
- Combine honey, lemon juice and zest, and 1⁄2 cup water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Poach apricots, a few at a time, until soft, 3–5 minutes, depending on ripeness of fruit. Remove with a slotted spoon and cool.
- Serve plain with syrup or spoon over ice cream or pound cake. (Refrigerate in syrup for up to 1 week.)