Author Lonnee Hamilton simmers her collards until they’re tender and silky in a chicken stock fortified with onions and garlic.
Author Lonnée Hamilton simmers her collards until they're tender and silky in a chicken stock fortified with onions and garlic.
Yield: serves 4
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 small yellow onions, minced
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 lb. collard greens, stemmed and roughly chopped
- Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and crushed red chile flakes, to taste
- Heat oil and butter in a 6-qt. pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and cook, stirring often, until soft, 6–8 minutes; add chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add collard greens, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until very tender, about 1 hour. Season with salt, pepper, and chile flakes and serve immediately.