At her farmhouse in the Perigord, Daniele Mazat-Delpeuch served us this marinated cheese with hearty, whole-grain country bread, thickly sliced and toasted on forks over the coals in her huge living room fireplace. The cheese is good in salads, too. If you can find only a larger log of cheese, cut it into slices before marinating.
- 3 2-oz. fresh goat cheese logs
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp. black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp. pink peppercorns
- Carefully place the goat cheese logs into a widemouthed glass or ceramic jar.
- Add enough olive oil to cover cheese completely. Add bay leaves, thyme, garlic, black peppercorns, and pink peppercorns.
- Cover and marinate cheese in the refrigerator for at least 2 days and up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature before serving.