Marinated Grilled Lamb Loin Strips
This recipe for lamb kebabs is a local specialty in the city of Gaziantep, Turkey. The food there blends the best from Turkish, Armenian, Arabic, Jewish, and Kurdish cooking.
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. Turkish hot pepper paste
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp. <a href="https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Turkish-Herb-and-Spice-Mix">Turkish Herb and Spice Mix</a>
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. lean lamb loin
- 4 long green Italian peppers, halved lengthwise, seeded, ribs removed
- Mix together tomato paste, pepper paste, 3 tbsp. olive oil, garlic, Turkish Herb and Spice Mix, and pepper in a nonreactive bowl. Cut lamb into 1″ cubes, then butterfly each cube. Add lamb to marinade and stir to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for 9–12 hours, turning meat occasionally.
- About 2 hours before serving, remove lamb from marinade; slide about 3 pieces onto each of 8 long metal or wood skewers (soak wood skewers for 1⁄2 hour in water before using) and brush with oil. Cover and let meat come to room temperature.
- Brush peppers with oil. Heat a lightly oiled grill pan over medium heat and grill peppers until browned and soft, about 7 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Grill lamb in same pan over medium heat until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Serve with grilled peppers, if you like.