Marinated Vegetable and Herb Salad
Olive oil, a staple of Provençal cuisine, transforms the flavor of this delightful salad.
Yield: serves 6
For the Vegetable Salad
- Coarse salt
- 2 small artichokes
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 2 small carrots
- 2 small turnips
- 1 firm, small zucchini
- 1 small acorn squash
- 6 small asparagus stalks
- 1⁄2 cup fava beans, shelled and peeled
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup total of the following fresh herbs, finely chopped: basil, parsley, chives, chervil, tarragon, and/or sage
- Additional fresh herbs for garnish
- Extra-virgin olive oil
For the Vinaigrette
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the vegetable salad: Clean and trim all the vegetables, then dice into small cubes. Cook each kind of vegetable separately in boiling, salted water. Cook artichokes, fennel, carrots, and turnips for 2 minutes each. Cook zucchini, squash, asparagus, beans, and peas for 30 seconds. Drain vegetables, then plunge them into a bowl of ice water. Drain again on paper towels to absorb any water. Set aside.
- For the vinaigrette: In a large bowl, whisk mustard and vinegar together, adding olive oil in a thin stream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add cooked vegetables, tomatoes, and chopped herbs to vinaigrette. Mix gently and thoroughly. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Arrange the marinated vegetables on plates. Garnish with fresh herbs and a drizzle of olive oil.