The ouzo bar is to Greece what the tapas bar is to Spain—a place to gather and eat with friends—and this summer salad is a popular favorite in many ouzo bars around Athens. This recipe appeared in an article on ouzo bars by Cynthia Hacinli in our March/April 1995 issue.
- 1 lb. zucchini, trimmed
- 1⁄2 lb. green beans, trimmed
- 1 tbsp. fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 1 cup white mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Using a mandoline or a knife, julienne zucchini. Halve green beans lengthwise and again horizontally. (Zucchini and beans should be about the same size.) Blanch vegetables, drain, and transfer to a bowl.
- Add dill, scallions, and mushrooms. Toss with vinegar and oil, and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.