Meat Loaf with Mushrooms and Sherry
Considered one of America's top comfort foods, this dish has been reinvented by many. Including us.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 lb. ground chuck
- 5 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup sautéed mushrooms of your choice
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan over low heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine chuck, 2 tbsp. of the ketchup, sherry, mushrooms, egg, bread crumbs, salt and pepper to taste, and half the onion–garlic mixture, and stir just enough to mix.
- Place meat in a 3" × 7" loaf pan and round the top with your hands to form a crown. Top with remaining onion–garlic mixture and drizzle with remaining 3 tbsp. ketchup. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove meat loaf from oven and let set about 10 minutes, for easier slicing.