This zesty mix of fresh seafood, tomato and lime juices, and hot sauce is a refreshing snack or light meal eaten along Mexico's coasts.
- 2 lb. medium cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed
- 1⁄2 cup shucked raw clams
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp. minced red onion
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. Mexican hot sauce, such as Cholula
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, plus 2 tbsp. adobo sauce from can
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced cilantro
- 1⁄2 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- Saltine crackers, for serving
Place 12 whole shrimp in a small bowl and reserve. Roughly chop remaining shrimp and place in a large bowl with clams. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Meanwhile, combine tomato juice, oil, lime juice, onion, hot sauce, Worcestershire, garlic, chipotles with adobo sauce, and salt and pepper in a blender, and purée until smooth; refrigerate cocktail mix until chilled.
Divide seafood mixture among 4 chilled sundae glasses, and sprinkle with cilantro; pour cocktail mix over top. Place 3 reserved whole shrimp on the edge of each glass, and place avocado on top; serve immediately with crackers.