At chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten’s Prime Steakhouse, when you order your preferred cut, the choice of accompaniments includes this sauce with intense umami flavor and a mustardy zing. This recipe first appeared in our April 2012 issue along with Max Jacobson’s story Dining Like a Rhinestone Cowboy.
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup white miso
- 2 tsp. dry mustard powder
- 1 tsp. kecap manis
- 1⁄4 tsp. smoked sweet paprika
- Zest of 1 lime
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 tsp. unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- In a 2-qt. saucepan, whisk together soy sauce, miso, mustard, kecap manis, paprika, zest, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Remove from heat and slowly add butter, a few cubes at a time. Whisk constantly until smooth and all butter is incorporated; season with salt and pepper before serving over steaks.