When baked, these marinated cheeses are great spread on crusty bread or served with a tart, rustic salad. The marinade can be reused or whisked into a vinaigrette.
- 6 small rounds goat cheese, about 1 oz. each
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup walnut oil
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped chives
- 1 tbsp. whole black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 3 dried bay leaves
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Toasted country-style bread, for serving
- Put goat cheese rounds into an 8″ x 8″ baking dish. In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, walnut oil, vinegar, thyme, chives, peppercorns, chile flakes, and bay leaves; pour over goat cheese. Cover dish with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature, turning occasionally, for 1 hour or refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- Heat oven to 425°. Transfer dish to a baking sheet, unwrap, season cheese with salt, and bake until warmed through and slightly soft, 6–8 minutes. To serve, transfer cheese to a platter and serve with toasted bread.