We learned how to make these double-dipped vidalia rings from Boston chef Jasper White.
Yield: serves 4
- 2 large vidalia onions
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup white cornmeal
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Peel onions, cut into 1⁄2”-thick slices, and separate into rings.
- Pour buttermilk into a bowl. Combine flour and cornmeal in another bowl and season to taste with cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Heat about 3” vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Dip a few rings into buttermilk, shake off excess, dredge in flour mixture, shake off excess, then repeat, coating again with both buttermilk and flour mixture.
- When oil is very hot, add rings and cook until golden, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Repeat process with remaining rings.