Pan-Fried Turkey Livers with Bacon and Onions
This recipe comes from the Strongbow Inn where turkey is the name of the game.
Yield: serves 4
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- 12 strips bacon
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 4 turkey livers (about 10 oz.), rinsed and thinly sliced horizontally
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Heat olive oil in a 10" skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and caramelized, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook, turning occasionally, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Using tongs, transfer bacon to paper towel–lined plate to let drain. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 tsp. salt, 1⁄4 tsp. pepper, flour, paprika, and nutmeg. Dredge the liver slices in the flour mixture and shake off excess.
- Heat 3 tbsp. of the butter in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat until butter begins to foam. Working in batches, place liver slices in skillet and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate. Wipe out skillet and repeat with remaining butter and liver. Serve liver strewn with the reserved onions and garnished with the reserved bacon.