These chickpea-flour “fries” are a staple of Niçoise cuisine.
These chickpea-flour "fries" are a staple of Niçoise cuisine.
Yield: makes About 30
- Olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups chickpea flour
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Brush six saucers with olive oil and set aside.
- Pour chickpea flour in a steady stream into 4 cups cold salted water in a large, heavy saucepan, whisking as you pour to prevent lumps. Cook over medium heat, whisking vigorously, until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, still whisking, and pour batter into saucers. Fill the saucers up to the rims, about 1⁄2″ thick. Cool at least 30 minutes, then gently slide batter off saucers and cut into “steak-fry” shapes, about 3⁄4″ x 3″ long.
- Heat 1″ vegetable oil in a heavy skillet over high heat. Fry in batches without crowding, turning often, until golden brown, about 5–7 minutes. Drain, season with salt and pepper.