Fresh onions add cool spice to this simple parsley salad from Jeremiah Cooks (Stewart, Tabori and Chang, 2002) by Jeremiah Tower. This recipe first appeared in our November 2011 issue along with Dana Bowen’s story Roots of Flavor.
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped mint
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups lightly packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1⁄4 cup salt-packed capers, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- Grilled country white bread, to serve
- In a medium bowl, toss together mint, onion, and salt and pepper; let sit until onion softens, about 10 minutes. Add parsley, capers, oil, juice, and zest, and toss until evenly combined. Serve immediately with grilled bread.